HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to share firewire drive between macs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealthybif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Unable to share firewire drive between macs Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm attempting to share a firewire drive over the network between 5-6 pcs and macs. All the macs are 10.3.9 and the PCs are XP SP2.

The firewire drive is physically hooked up to my G5.

I downloaded and ran sharepoints and created a normal share for my volume "Cleo". All the PCs can see and access this share but the macs cannot and I can't figure out why.

The drive is in Mac OS Extended format and the ignore permissions box is unchecked.

Am I doing anything wrong? thanks in advance.
Eric
mrcoco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to share firewire drive between macs Reply with quote

stealthybif wrote:
Hi,
I'm attempting to share a firewire drive over the network between 5-6 pcs and macs. All the macs are 10.3.9 and the PCs are XP SP2.

The firewire drive is physically hooked up to my G5.

I downloaded and ran sharepoints and created a normal share for my volume "Cleo". All the PCs can see and access this share but the macs cannot and I can't figure out why.

The drive is in Mac OS Extended format and the ignore permissions box is unchecked.

Am I doing anything wrong? thanks in advance.
Eric

I realize this is an old post, but I have the same problem and nobody seems to have solved this one yet. I have been through all the forums and tried all the usual stuff like stealthybif here.

I am using SP 3.5.1 on OSX 10.3.9 running on a Graphite G3 Clamshell with Firewire. I've got both PC and Mac sharing turned on for the share (SharePoints) and for the machine in general (Sys Prefs). The FW drive in question has Ignore Permissions turned off. The permissions are set with my preferred group as w/r. The drive I'm trying to share is not part of a home directory. I am logging in remotely as a plain vanilla user.

I can see the share fine through Samba, but not AFS. So, PCs work ok. That would probably be fine for my Macs too except that all the file types seem to get effed going Mac->SMB->Mac. Would much rather go Mac->AFS->Mac. I have tried to see the share from a 10.3.X mac and a 10.4.X mac - same behavior.

So, any help would be appreciated.
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you seem to have done pretty much everything I can think of. I would suggest checking your hard drives using Disk Utility and also repairing permissions using Disk Utility.
mrcoco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhorn wrote:
Hmm, you seem to have done pretty much everything I can think of. I would suggest checking your hard drives using Disk Utility and also repairing permissions using Disk Utility.

I tried repairing permissions with no luck. Then I simply turned off Mac file sharing and then turned it back on, and that seems to work.

Unfortunately, now I have a permissions problem. I can't get actual read or write access remotely to anything on the Firewire drive. I can access my shares on the main drive no problem. But shares on the external drive always show up Read-protected. They are accessible from my PC no problem.

I tried reformatting the drive, copying all my files back on, unchecking "ignore permissions", then forcing the entire drive to the desired owner and group (using the Get Info settings on the drive). Still no read-permissions from my Macs (tried 10.4.X and 10.3.X machines).

I realize this is an imperfect science. But what are some things that you would tinker with to try to get permissions working for a plain vanilla remote user.

Does it matter that the remote Macs don't actually have the user account name that I'm logging into the Share as? Hope that makes sense.
sturner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go out on a limb here.

In your filesharing window it should display the address of your shared drive. Enter that into your Go or network addresss.

If you can't access due to permissions, you can try command line.

chmod a-rw your_shared_folder
mrcoco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturner,

thanks for your post. you are definitely onto something.

i ended up doing something similar to enable every darn file in the share with the permissions i wanted. in fact i prefixed the chmod and chown commands with the ever necessary, "sudo". so, now i'm sharing my files with my desired permissions no problem.

i believe the command i used was, "sudo chmod -R 770 shared_folder"

that's what i love about osx - that you can always dive down and get things done the old fashioned unix way, no matter what the gui is saying.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: