HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SharePoints 3.5.4 on clean install of Tiger does not work

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgibson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: SharePoints 3.5.4 on clean install of Tiger does not work Reply with quote

I am lost. I have tried everything and do not know how to trouble shoot this problem.

I cannot get file sharing working on a G4 Mac with a clean install of Tiger (family pack) 10.4.6, but I have it set up on a G4 Jaguar Mac 10.2.8. The same settings do not appear to work.

The problem is that the other users cannot connect to the share points because they do not show up in the "connect" window for the user. The connect window says to "Select the volumes you wish to mount" and it only shows the users that appear in the login window of the Tiger Mac.

I set up the file sharing on the Jaguar G4 Mac through Netinfo manager. So, I first tried to set up the Tiger Mac myself through Netinfo manager. The users could not see the shares. I decided to try Sharepoints.

I then installed SharePoints and set up the shares through SharePoints. That also did not work.

I noticed that "/config/AppleFileServer" did not exist in the Tiger Mac Netinfo manager and it did on the Jaguar Mac. I then created "/config/AppleFileServer" on the Tiger Mac using the values from my Jaguar Mac. That also did not work.

I have started and restarted the file server several times.

Users are members of the groups that have privileges to the folders I am trying to share. They are not owners of the folders, but that does not appear to be required on the Jaquar Mac.

Any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of users are you connecting with? Are they admin users?
kgibson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: SharePoints 3.5.4 on clean install of Tiger does not work Reply with quote

Possible pilot error on this one. However, I believe I can blame this one on the OS (or my failure to run Disk Utilities privileges repair).

I tried to set this up in Tiger (clean install), and then had to downgrade to Jaguar to get the server running for monday.

I think the computer was not retaining or setting the privileges and groups properly despite my attempts. One non-admin user was able to see the share point for a while but was not able to see any files inside the share points.

I discovered that the group of the share points was set to that user's login name. I do not recall doing that and it was not intentional. However, even though I changed the groups for the share points to the correct groups and verified that the users were in the groups, they could not see the share point on the LAN.

Even after a clean install of Jaguar, I had trouble getting the privilege and groups to stick in the get info screen. There are about 60,000 files and it may have been choking on the volume.

I used SharePoints for Jaguar for the set up of the Jaguar share points. I will have to try upgrading to Tiger to see if anything gets broken.

Are there any known issues with Tiger causing behavior like I experienced?

This problem could have been pilot error, but I believe I set up the Jaguar system in a nearly identical manner as the Tiger unit (same computer). However, I kept trying and think I finally got the privileges and groups to stick and that is probably what did the trick.
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of people reporting this problem before.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: