HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost (mislaid?) access to my home directory

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Lost (mislaid?) access to my home directory Reply with quote

I've been successfully sharing my home directory back and forward between Macs for years using Sharepoints to make it available on each Mac. A couple of months back, possibly when going to 10.4.9 or 10.4.10, I found that I couldn't see my home directory on my Intel iMac from my PowerBook, though I could log into it OK (using my own, admin login for the iMac).

When I connect from my PowerBook, instead of the iMac home directory appearing in the left hand pane of the finder window along with the other mounted drives, it appears with a network icon in a new pane to the right of that which shows the same set of mounted drives (minus iDisk which I don't use). It does not appear on the desktop of the PowerBook unlike the other mounted drives. I can see the contents in the pane to the right of this and can read and write with no problem. However if I go into an application to open or save a file, I can't find it from the open or save dialogue. It appears in the /Volumes directory of the PowerBook, however.

If I mount the hard disk of my iMac instead, I can't navigate to the home directory there via the Users directory as it doesn't appear there in the Finder as it ought to do. This happens whether or not I have first tried to connect to the iMac home directory.

I've checked in Terminal that the remote home directory is mounted in the /Users directory of my PowerBook and I have no problems doing anything with the files in there from Terminal. I have also checked the permissions on this directory and they are exactly the same as the permissions on the home directory on my PowerBook. Get Info used on the icon in the second pane also shows owner, group and others can read and write to this directory.

I can work around this by going in the other direction as I have no problem connecting to my PowerBook home directory from my iMac, but it is seriously bugging me that I can't solve the problem. Any ideas?

Ian Downie
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Solved the problem - nothing to do with SharePoints Reply with quote

Apple posted a note about how to deal with a disappearing home directory in Leopard, and though the solution does not work in Tiger (I haven't upgraded), the note led me to the answer: the invisible bit had somehow become set on my home directory.

This tutorial on Macfixit provided the answer to how to unset the invisible bit:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040519001916749 .

I used Xray on the directory and sure enough the invisible checkbox was checked. One click and the directory reappeared.

I've since discovered that you can do this from the Terminal after installing Developer Tools by going to the /Users directory and entering:

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v <username>

(replace <username> with your short user name).

For completeness, if you are running Leopard, in the Terminal enter:

chflags nohidden ~/

Ian
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: