HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

user sometimes writes group perms of read-only on a share

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottPadgett

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: user sometimes writes group perms of read-only on a share Reply with quote

We have 5 people sharing a volume on our 'server' which is just running OSX.3 and Sharepoints. Recently, one user started having this problem: every once in a while a file that she saves to the server will be written with 'read-only' on it's group privilege, instead of 'read and write'.

Only happens sometimes, even within the same application. I reset all permissions across the whole volume and deleted her user account in Sharepoints, added her back and the problem is still there. Just randomly sets the group permissions to 'read-only' a lot of the time.

Does anyone know what's going on? Might this be somehow related to Sharepoints or something?

I'm not even sure how to specify what permissions setting a user writes to the group on a file. And why would it change randomly from read-write to read-only?

Thanks!!
scottPadgett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: further issues, problem spread to root user Reply with quote

OK, today, the same problem that was isolated to that one user is now being duplicated by the root user on the server! In an attempt to preserve permissions as set on the whole volume, I checked the inherit permissions boxes on the volume.

But today while logged in as root right at the computer, I created some directories on the volume and found the group permissions set to read-only instead of the read-write setting that was supposed to be inherited from the parent directory.

Am I misunderstanding how inheritance works? Or does anyone have an explanation as to how this is happening?
scottPadgett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: answer found Reply with quote

I guess I should have more thoroughly searched for existing posts out there before I started this thread.

I found my answer here:

http://hornware.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=88&sid=b46bd76561001639711be37169c26b1d

I took their advice and loaded TinkerTool onto our server to control default umask settings in the 'permissions' tool of the app. Seems to work perfectly so far. I logged in as all users and opened TinkerTool and lifter all restricitions on permissions of files created. All users seem to be writing read-write files now instead of some read-only ones....
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the answer to your own question.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: