HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to connect from MacOS9 systems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elipsett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Unable to connect from MacOS9 systems Reply with quote

I just got a new Mac Mini (MacOS10.3.8), and downloaded the latest SharePoints to see how it works. I've been running AppleShareIP on MacOS9.2.2 until recently, but needed a new server.

The SharePoints system is set up to merely provide backup storage available to all machines in the office. It works fine from OSX, Win2000 and WinXP platforms. I am totally unable to access it from any OS9 machine in the office, however.
The OS9 machines are set to use AppleTalk, and AppleTalk is enabled in Sharepoints. Each OS9 machine has a name/password set, and the various user setups within SharePoints are identical to the setups used by the OSX and Windows machines, which work normally.

When trying to access from an OS9 machine, first a message box pops up saying it is verifying something (not clear what). After about 30 s, that vanishes and the regular name and password entry dialog appears. Enter name and password and press ENTER, and the clockface appears. It either stays like that forever, or timeouts.

I can post screen captures of any of this.

I assume I've got something set wrong somewhere, but darned if I can see where. Any ideas?
elipsett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: OS9 problem solved Reply with quote

I have solved all the problems, and no have Sharepoints running on OSX, beign accessed by MacOS9, MacOSX, Win2000 and WinXP. All software is running the localized Japanese-language versions.

I made an RTF with screen shots describing exactly what I did to get it all working. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll email it to you. Public domain material, so feel free to pass it around.

The screen shots show the Japanese screens, but since the English-language screens all look pretty much identical and the document itself in English, it might be useful to other people, too.
elipsett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Chooser problem in OS9 Reply with quote

Perhaps I spoke too soon... everything works, but if an OS9 user forgets to select "Server IP Address" and just clicks on the OSX server icon in the chooser dialog, the machine's Ethernet access is frozen, requiring a reboot.

Is there any way to hook it up so that an OS9 user can just click on the OSX server icon in the chooser, exactly like a shared OS9 machine?

Thanks.
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what you are describing should not happen. Unfortunately, I don't know of a fix for the chooser killing your networking. A workaround might be to put aliases to the shared drives on the desktop or the Apple Menu so the users don't have to use the chooser.
elipsett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Aliases Reply with quote

Yeah, we tried that. Same problem.
We also tried putting the password into the keychain and setting the machine up so it logged in automatically at boot -- same problem.

We are still playing with it, but so far we haven't a clue.

Thanks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: