HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacOS X 10.4.0 "Tiger": File-Sharing-Only users c

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWebert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: MacOS X 10.4.0 "Tiger": File-Sharing-Only users c Reply with quote

MacOS X 10.4.0 "Tiger": File-Sharing-Only users can login

Concerning SharePoints 3.5.1

I installed MacOS X 10.4.0 (aka "Tiger") yesterday. File-Sharing-only users with UID's of 4xx that formerly did not have a local login listed in the user list, now do. Tiger puts their full name in the user list. Tiger (and MacOS X 10.3.9 (aka "Panther"), upon further testing) allows them a local GUI login, laments that it can't find a home directory, and so leaves them at the root with all the Unix privileges that they are afforded by Apple default file permissions, which is typically a lot.

Further, under MacOS X 10.3.9 (aka "Panther"), AppleShare network logins by File-Sharing-only users did not have any visibility of, nor access to the directories of regular users with local accounts if such regular users' Public Directory Shared? was set to No; under Tiger, unless one manually changes such regular users' home directories to remove Other execute privileges (eg, "chmod 770"), they are visible and can be mounted with limited privileges.

The SharePoints FAQ:

<http://www.hornware.com/faq/index.php?qid=6&catid=3>

says to delete File-Sharing-Only users' Full Name, but alas, SharePoints 3.5.1 does not seem to allow this.
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have Tiger yet. As soon as my copy comes in the mail from Apple, I'll check out all aspects of SharePoints and update it as necessary.
tholm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of us would appreciate a short how-to-guide on the least painful way of upgrading to Tiger while retaining SharePoint shares.

OSX 10.4 now has ACLs, (Access Control Lists) which might complicate things if you are required to use them, I don't know. Please read
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars
especially page 8 dealing with ACLs.
tholm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhorn,
if you haven't read it already, there's some info on Tiger Server, ACLs and more on
http://www.afp548.com/
which you might find useful, I hope.

(why didn't you test-drive Sharepoints on the Tiger betas?)
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't test drive SharePoints on Tiger betas because I don't have access to Tiger betas. To get access to Tiger betas I would have to pay $500 a year to Apple. I don't receive enough in donations to cover that kind of expense.

Having said that please view this FAQ entry for the current status on Tiger (10.4) compatablity:

http://www.hornware.com/faq/index.php?qid=19
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: