HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing and dealing with locked files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moriz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Installing and dealing with locked files Reply with quote

Hi:

I've discovered share points a few weeks ago and I think it's a great piece of software, it's came to solve a problem many of us have when sharing our hard disk with co-workers.

Until I installed share point I was using my own account to access entire disks from other machines. I work in a small design studio my machine being the main file server and three other machines working on files on mine.

This means all files where created as by myself, even if they where created in the other machines.

I installed share points, created one new group called "staff" and a user called "staffuser" in addition to my own user I was already using and which I included as a user in the "staffgroup", besides I also forms part of the admin user I got a friend of mine who has some experience in terminal to globally change permissions of all the folder I wanted to share (30 GB or so) for r-w both for myself (my user in my machine, the owner of most files) and the "staff" user.

I configured share points to inherit permissions from parent enables only AFS sharing since I only have one PC only for testing purposes. I left inherit owner unchecked (I first tried to check it).

After this global permissions change for all files and folders from terminal all works fine and any staff member can write anything withing the share.

The problem is locking files.

Every file get as "owner" the person who created it, either me or "staffmember", but only this person can lock or unlock the file. Even me as an admin I can't unlock a file created by a "staffmember". This is particularly annoying specially in DreamWeaver, because it totally messes up with it's primitive CVSlike versions control system.

So the question would be how to manage locking and unlocking files to work just as fine as reading and writing. Even if it involves getting into terminal.

This is, this far, the only "dark point" for me in the Share Point installation.

Thanks in advance.

Moriz
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for this. Have you found anything on Google?
moriz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Hi:

I've found the solution for my problem, it was quite a simple one, I think it should be included in the Share Points documentation.

Every drive in a Mac System except the system volume can be configured to "ignore ownership on this volume", this preference is located in the info box that appears if you Command+I over the disk icon on your desktop.

Unchecking this box solves the problem I guess by ignoring who created the document in the first place. I have my work files located in a secondary hard disk, so it was easy for me to alter this setting. I don't know if there is a way of getting it done in a system volume, but I guess it can always be partitioned.

Moriz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: