HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"access denied" to Windows clients with share on T

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmutrux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: "access denied" to Windows clients with share on T Reply with quote

I'm really stymied by this and I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions to help me troubleshoot this issue.

I have used Sharepoints on several systems and am an expert Mac and Windows system administrator--so I have some idea of what I am doing.

Recently the power supply failed on a client's iMac "server" and we replaced it with a G4 Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.4. I downloaded Sharepoints and set about recreating their shared file setup, so:

1) Created file-sharing only user account.

2) Created folder to contain shared files. Restored files from backup to this folder. Granted user account r/w access to folder using BatChmod.

3) Created share in Sharepoints, enabled access via AFP and SMB.

4) Enabled Windows file sharing in System Preferences and granted access to the user account.

Now the problem is that file sharing works flawlessly for Mac clients. But the two Windows clients are unable to connect to the file share.

If I attempt to browse the file share by putting in the UNC path \\server\share, I get the message Access denied.

If I put in just the server name: \\server it shows me the resources available on the server. But if I try to open one of the file shares it tells me access denied. On one share, it just says "access denied" and I am never prompted for a password. On another share, I am prompted for a username and password, but upon entering the correct credentials I am denied access.

I checked and double-checked the username and password. Restarted the services, reset permissions on the server. No dice.

I attempted to map the share to a drive letter using the Net Use command, so I could explicitly specify a username and password. It would map the drive, but after that I cannot access it.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how I can resolve this issue? I've never had any problems with Sharepoints on other systems, so I'm a little mystified.

Thanks much,

Zac
mhorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Account preference pane, when you click on Windows sharing, a button called "Accounts" (or something similar) shows up at the bottom right. Click on this button and make sure the accounts are enabled for Windows access.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: