HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ownerships on Mac sharepoint

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Ownerships on Mac sharepoint Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have a Mac mini running Leopard that I'm trying to use to share a directory with a Windows XP machine. I'm able to do this just fine, except the ownership of the files on the Mac don't match the user that created them on the Windows machine.

When I map the network drive on the Windows machine I use the username/password as they are on the Mac. The problem is that any new files created by the Windows machine "inherit" the username of the user that originally shared the directory on the Mac. I want the new files created by the Windows machine to be owned by the username that was used to connect to the sharepoint on the Mac.

Hopefully I explained myself well enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
roblight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I figured out my problem!

The USB drive was set to "Owners Enabled: No" so that it wasn't saving the ownership information when a network client saved a file.

I'm in the process of moving the data off this disk and hopefully re-formatting will allow me to set the option to Yes.
logangreer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you achieving the sharing? When I try to share with Windows users, they either cannot edit the files (read only) or they cannot see my shared directory (since 10.5.1).

What are the steps you are taking to enable sharing with a Windows machine?
roblight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logangreer wrote:
How are you achieving the sharing? When I try to share with Windows users, they either cannot edit the files (read only) or they cannot see my shared directory (since 10.5.1).

What are the steps you are taking to enable sharing with a Windows machine?

Not sure why some of your Windows users can and others can not see the shared directory. Can they ping the Mac?

As for the read-only problem... make sure their credentials match. The easiest way to do this is make their usernames and passwords the same on both machines. Otherwise, they'll have to manually "connect as" another username to map the Mac drive the first time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: